Smartphone ownership within the United Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males who possess intercourse with males (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) can be used among MSM to meet up with sexual partners 3,4. Increased use of smart phones combined with typical utilization of apps to get intimate lovers led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan and their collaborators to examine the relationships between app usage and sexual wellness among MSM.
Characterizing App Use
Among an example of young black colored MSM living in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and brand New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% used apps. People who used apps reported their most often used apps as Jack’d (69.8%) followed closely by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals utilized on average 8.2 various apps and invested on average 2.1 hours from the apps daily. The average number of “app-met partners” http://www.realmailorderbrides.com/mexican-brides with whom they engaged in insertive intercourse was 1.19; almost one third of the encounters were condomless although a minority (17%) used apps to seek sexual partners. Moreover, over one fourth of individuals had been unacquainted with the HIV status of the partners that are app-met. High amounts of condomless lack and sex of knowing of partners’ HIV status warrant research of intimate risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Use
Sexual risk among application MSM that is making use of ended up being making use of an example of 174 app-using MSM in new york. The analysis addressed 6 contextual facets pertaining to app usage and investigated the connection between these facets and intercourse that is condomless. A big part (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing unfortunate, whenever utilizing liquor (51.1%) when utilizing any medications (25.9%). Individuals were very likely to participate in both insertive and receptive sex that is condomless apps had been getting used when working with any medications or when working with apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Fighting HIV through App Utilize
Apps show their prospective effectiveness among scientists and healthcare providers wanting to reduce the danger of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 MSM that is app-using in, 63.9% reported willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV assessment. Willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention had been greater the type of reporting current binge consuming and club drug use 7 that is recent.
Existing geosocial-networking applications have been utilized to provide HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the prospective to be utilized for other MSM health problems substance use, intimate partner violence, and intimate danger using. App-based intimate health interventions focusing on MSM should always be developed, provided MSM’s willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Analysis Center. Social networking Use Will Continue To Boost in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. June 2018. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five various medical issues for gay and bisexual males: Implications for brand new guidelines in wellness education and avoidance. United states Journal of Men’s wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of gay, bisexual, as well as other males that have intercourse with males: Survey among users of grindr, a mobile dating app. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. Overview of risk behaviors for HIV disease by males who possess intercourse with guys through geosocial networking phone apps. Journal for the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking software use among young black males who possess intercourse with males: A multi-city survey that is cross-sectional the southern united states of america. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual factors in geosocial-networking application that is smartphone and engagement in condomless anal sex among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males that have intercourse with males whom utilize grindr. Intimate Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to make use of cell phone apps for HIV prevention among males who possess intercourse with males in London: Web-based study. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. Social media marketing Interventions to market HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Web Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more information, contact Dustin Duncan at email@example.com
This work ended up being sustained by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through the newest York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and nyc University class of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The guts for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) can be an interdisciplinary research center that focuses on general general public health problems associated with HIV, hepatitis C, and medication usage.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV analysis NYU College of worldwide Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor ny , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL